Salt Spring Island
Salt Spring Island was first named Admiral Island (circa 1858) by Captain Richards, after his superior officer Rear Admiral Baynes. The local residents of the time insisted on calling it Salt Spring, because of the 14 or 15 natural saline springs that occur on the island. Eventually, the mapmakers renamed it officially. Ganges Harbour was once known as Admiralty Bay.
Salt Spring Island was originally a hunting territory for the Cowichan and Saanich Indians. Part of the Coast Salish Indians, they spoke Halkomelem, and Lekungenung. The first non-native settlers were former black slaves from the United States, and arrived around 1857.